To offer highly efficient, powerful and superior quality 4k capable video experience. ARM has announced a display processor that aims to drive new visual content and gaming experiences on mobile devices.
It is fully compatible and efficient for displaying the content at resolution of 4K. It can easily adjust now a days smartphone resolutions of 2.5K (QHD 2560 x 1440 and WQXGA 2560 x 1600) smartphones and tablets. It will provide different mechanism for providing the high resolution videos by dividing into different layers composition.
Here’s what Mark Dickinson, general manager, media processing group, ARM said about it, “The Mali-DP650 display processor will enable mobile screens with multiple composition layers, for graphics and video, at Full HD (1920×1080 pixels) resolutions and beyond while maintaining excellent picture quality and extending battery life. Smartphones and tablets are increasingly becoming content passports, allowing people to securely download content once and carry it to view on whichever screen is most suitable. The ability to stream the best quality content from a mobile device to any screen is an important capability ARM Mali display technology delivers.”
Features of Mali-DP650 in detail:
- Mali-DP650 supports an array of advanced features including up to seven display layer composition, rotation, high-quality scaling and energy-efficient technologies such as ARM Frame Buffer Compression (AFBC) within a very small silicon area
- By doubling the size of AXI bus to 128-bit and providing a MMU pre-fetcher solution, Mali-DP650 can support more 4K composition layers and offers higher memory system latency tolerance than the Mali-DP550 display processor
- Mali-DP650 is designed to efficiently connect to ARM’s System MMU (ARM CoreLink™ MMU-500) enabling systems to achieve up to 4K at 60fps display resolutions
- The split-display mode feature enables MIPI D-PHY solutions to deliver resolutions beyond 1080p to mobile panels and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) support allows for panel power saving, further extending the battery life
- Mali-DP650 is delivered with software support for the latest version of AndroidTM optimized to work alongside the Mali-GPU and Mali-Video drivers.