Samsung Galaxy Note 8, we dare to describe it as a most feature-rich, productive and advanced utility catering smartphone to date. In fact, Samsung bundled every new technology that they can on the phablet. Especially, in the software department, they have added numerous useful features in the latest phablet. Still, many users want to root Galaxy Note 8 in order to get the full permissions over the device.
However, since humans have the tendency to go beyond boundaries and extract the every possible things that he can do. Similar, is the point with the Galaxy Note 8 as well. We reckon, there should be a vast number of proud Note 8 users, who might be still not happy with the extreme software features that Note 8 offers, until and unless they gain superuser access.
By the way, considering all those users who like to go super-extreme by rooting their precious Galaxy Note 8. Here, we have provided the how to guide to root the Galaxy Note 8.
The first is to root the device after installing the custom recovery.
Root Exynos Galaxy Note 8 via TWRP Recovery
As you know, there are plenty of rooting methods. Such as, one-click rooting method(might not work on latest smartphones), some chinese apps that promises instant rooting(beware!), and the traditional custom recovery method. In fact, the latter method is widely accepted, secure and usually fail-proof. So, here the twrp recovery based rooting method is provided.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Exynos 8895 variant. The method we are going to provide will not work on Snapdragon 835 variant.
- Custom TWRP recovery for Galaxy Note 8.
- Samsung Odin.exe Flash Tool: Official Samsung flash tool.
- Either Flashable SuperSU.zip or Magisk root.zip for rooting.
- Last but not least, “Patience”.
(All download links are provided at the end)
1. Steps To Install Twrp Recovery For Galaxy Note 8 via Odin
Warning: Flashing custom recovery, replaces the stock Android Recovery. In effect, your device warranty will be void, and Knox status gets tripped to 0x1. Proceed further, if you are very much sure about what you are doing. Importantly, we are not responsible for any damages that cause to your valuable device.
- Enable Developer Option (settings – about phone – Software information – Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu).
- Enable OEM Unlock. from developer option (Currently no workaround for those who doesn’t have this option. If you failed to do above mentioned steps, better don’t proceed further. Because, you will be surely caught by Samsung’s FRP Lock Protection).
- Power-off the Galaxy Note 8.
- Reboot to Download Mode: For that Press Vol down + Bixby + Power.
- Once you are on main screen of the Download Mode, Press volume up to continue.
- On your PC, Download Odin and open it
- Disable ‘Auto reboot’ from option menu of Odin.
- Select TWRP (.tar file) with AP tab of Odin and click Start.
- Wait for the program to complete the flashing process.
- Once Successfully flashed, you will see ‘Passed’ in Odin tab.
- Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off.
- Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP.
- Swipe the slider to “allow modification”.
Finally, you are done with the TWRP flashing procedures. Now, the TWRP custom recovery on the Note 8 opens you a new world of cutomizations. Such as rooting, installing custom roms(that I personally feel is of no need), full system back-up and much more. Nevertheless, as of now let us see how to root the phablet using the TWRP.
Note: Galaxy Note 8 is protected by Samsung’s defence-grade, multi-layered security platform – Knox. Apparantly, the most secure Galaxy device till now. So, rooting the Note 8 means compromising of certain features. To be precise, certain premium and exclusive Samsung features.
- As of now you will lose Samsung Pay(I can’t lose it) and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won’t help. (Let us hope for the developers to bring a plausible solution for this terrible issue)
- OTA likely won’t work once you root device.
However, the second issue gets solved once you unroot the device completely, by simply flashing Samsung stock firmware back.
Here’s how to root Galaxy Note 8
Root With SuperSu
SuperSu is the most trusted root access manager. Moreover, the one and only root app available on Play Store. For rooting the Galaxy Note 8 with SuperSu follow the steps given below.
- Reboot to TWRP.
- From TWRP, Select WIPE menu – Then FORMAT DATA – You need to type ‘yes’ to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Internal SD storage from device.
- Once formating completes, go back and select REBOOT’ Menu and then – ‘RECOVERY’, This will reboot to TWRP again.
- Now select Install and navigate path to Exeternal SD card – SuperSU, you have copied earlier.
- Once SuperSu flash successfully, Reboot to System.
Root With Magisk
The new revolution in the Android rooting frameworks. The Magisk is now replacing SuperSU from all most all rooted devices, due to its extra-capabilities than the SuperSu.
Anyway, to root your Galaxy Note 8 using Magisk. Read further.
- From TWRP, Select WIPE menu – Then FORMAT DATA – You need to type ‘yes’ to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Internal SD storage from device
- Once the format completes, go back and select REBOOT’ Menu and then – ‘RECOVERY’, This will reboot to TWRP again
- Now select Install and navigate path to External SD card – Magisks.zip, you have copied earlier.
- Once Magisk flashes successfully, Reboot to System. First Reboot may take 15-20 mins to complete. Be patient.
Make sure that, you choose any one of the root managers(either SuperSu or Magisk). Flashing the both simultaneously results in conflicts, and is of no use. In deed, it ought to end up completely futile.
In this article, we have tried our best to explain the procedures for successfully rooting the Galaxy Note 8 via TWRP. Most importantly, since the Galaxy Note 8 is a new device. It is to be noted that, the developers associated with Galaxy Note 8 development takes time to come up with productive rooting methods.
Moreover, we recommend you to stick with the stock firmware that your device possess. By doing so, you are not inviting any unwanted troubles on your side. These are the methods to root Galaxy Note 8.
Below, find all the necessary files required to flash TWRP and root your Galaxy Note 8.
Unofficial TWRP 3.1.1 For Galaxy Note 8(Exynos): Download.
SuperSu.zip v2.82 SR-4: Download
Magisk.zip v14.2: Download
Many more guides are coming stay connected with us!