LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for Android smartphones. The same is available in both GitHub and GitLab. Yes, it came as a successor to the CyanogenMod when they announced that they are discontinuing the development of the same. The LineageOS is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and is the most stable custom ROM which is available out there. The ROM looks similar to Stock Android and doesn’t possess any unwanted features. That said, it has its own features apart from those features of which Google adds.
The LineageOS 18.1 was unveiled back in March 2021 based on the latest Android 11 version. Initially, it came with support for only 60 devices, and later the support had expanded to several devices. Xiaomi has launched many devices in 2021, which came with the Snapdragon 8xx series chipsets. A few devices like Poco X3 Pro, Poco F3, and the Mi 11X have bagged the support for LineageOS 18.1.
The LineageOS 18.1 came with any improvements over its predecessor. Significant changes include the built-in backup feature, revamped Recorder app and dark mode support on all LineageOS apps, and icon pack support. It also gets a WiFi display, chats bubbles, notification history, a new screen recorder, new media controls, and a new music app. The screen recorder features pause and continue recordings and changes the quality of recordings. Since it is based on Android 11, it has better privacy features and supports one-time permissions. The LineageOS also gets better animation transitions and categorized notifications. You can now hide apps from the launcher.
Unlock bootloader on Poco X3 Pro and Poco F3 / Mi 11X
Before installing a custom ROM, you have to unlock the bootloader and install custom recovery on your smartphone. For this, make sure to install ADB and fastboot drivers on your PC before unlocking the bootloader. Click here to install the same on MAC. Also, make sure to backup your data because unlocking the bootloader would erase your data. Follow the below-mentioned steps to unlock the bootloader on Poco X3 Pro and Poco F3 / Mi 11X:
- For this, first, enable USB debugging on your smartphone.
- Now create a Mi account by clicking here. Also, add your phone number with the MI account and insert the same SIM in your device.
- Then link your device to the Mi Account. To link your account, head to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer options > Mi Unlock Status.
- After this, download and install the Mi Unlock app on your PC. Click here to download the application.
- Once installed, open the application and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Connect your smartphone to the PC via the proprietary USB cable.
- After successfully verifying your device and Mi account, the bootloader on your device would be unlocked.
- Your device would reset and will restart once the process ends.
Install custom recovery
Download TWRP or any other recovery image which is specifically made for your device.
Poco X3 Pro – Download
POco F3/Mi 11X/Redmi K40 – Download
Then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Once downloaded, rename it to recovery.img and move it to your PC.
- Now, connect your smartphone to the PC via the USB cable.
- Open the command prompt and enter adb reboot bootloader in the window. It will reboot your device into the bootloader.
- To confirm the device has connected to your PC, enter fastboot devices in the window.
- Now flash the recovery by typing fastboot flash boot recovery.img
- You have successfully installed the recovery on your smartphone.
Install LineageOS 18.1 on your smartphone
If you have already unlocked and installed recovery on your device, skip the steps mentioned above. Now, let us look into the process of installing LineageOs 18.1 on your device.
As usual, there are some files that you need to download before installing the new LineageOS 18.1 ROM. These are
- Download LineageOS 18.1 ROM File.
- Tap here to download LineageOS 18.1 for Poco F3 or Mi 11X.
- Click here to download LineageOS 18.1 for Poco X3 Pro
- GApps (make sure to download the one with arm64 architecture)
- Magisk (only if you want to root your device)
Steps for installing LineageOS 18.1
For this, first, you have to head to recovery on your smartphone. To navigate to recovery, hold the Volume Up and Power keys after turning off your Xiaomi device. Keep holding the keys until the MI logo appears on the screen.
- After heading to the recovery, head to Wipe and tap on Advanced Wipe. From here, choose System, Dalvik Cache, Data, and Cache. Then tap on the Wipe option.
Do note that if you are coming from a custom ROM, you might have to flash the Xiaomi firmware.
- Now, navigate back to Menu and choose the Install option. From here, tap on the LineageOS 18.1 ROM file which you have downloaded earlier. Then click on the Flash option, which will flash the ROM on your device.
- After this, head back to the menu and tap on install. Choose the GApps file if you want support for Google Applications.
- Now, head back to the menu and tap on Wipe. Click on Format Data and type yes and then tap on the enter key.
- Again, navigate to Menu and wipe the cache and Dalvik cache.
- You can install Magisk if you wish to root your smartphone. Navigate back to the menu and wipe both the Dalvik cache and cache.
- Now, head to the menu and tap on Advanced to reboot your smartphone. Tap on reboot to the system, which will reboot your device.
You have successfully installed the latest LineageOS 18.1 on your Poco X3 or Poco F3 /Mi 11X smartphone. Now, sign in with your Google account to enjoy all the benefits. Please do share the article with your friends who wish to install the LineageOS 18.1 on their smartphones.