Recently, OnePlus launched the OnePlus 9RT and OnePlus Nord 2 CE 5G, both were interesting devices. However, both came with Android 11 out of the box, so, the OnePlus users were a little upset as Android 12 was launched last year, but it is still not available. So, now OnePlus has started rolling the Android 12 update for some of its devices not the ones mentioned above, but the other flagships. The list of devices that are going to receive the new Android 12 update are:
- OnePlus 9R
- OnePlus 8
- OnePlus 8 Pro
- OnePlus 8T
All of these devices have already received the Android 12 based ColorOS 12 in China. OnePlus devices in China run on ColorOS while the devices outside China still run on OxygenOS. So, now the update is made available for users outside China which means it is an OxygenOS update. It is the new OxygenOS 12 based on Android 12, which was in the beta stage previously and is now available in the stable version. The new update is made available to the open beta users and will be out for stable users later. Also, the update for EU regions is not available currently but will be rolled out soon.
The OxygenOS 12 is not a huge update in terms of visual changes as most of the design is similar to the previous version. There are some major changes like you can access the self from the notification panel, Work-Life balance function, and more. The update fixes the bugs that were present in the earlier beta stages of the OS.
OxygenOS 12 update,
The new update is available in different regions for different devices. The OnePlus 9R will receive the new update in IN region with firmware version LE2101_11.C.14. The OnePlus 8, 8T, and 8 Pro is receiving update in IN and NA regions. For the OnePlus 8 the firmware versions are:
- IN region: IN2011_11.C.11
- NA region: IN2015_11.C.11
For OnePlus 8 Pro:
- IN region: IN2021_11.C.11
- NA region: IN2025_11.C.11
For OnePlus 8T:
- IN region: KB2001_11.C.11
- NA region: KB2005_11.C.11
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Fixed the issue that background applications are abnormally closed in specific scenarios
- Fixed the issue with lens permissions when using third party camera applications
- Fixed the issue of the screen cannot respond when receiving notifications
- Dark mode now supports three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- New additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added Earphone Control Card with Bluetooth earphone one-click adjustment
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc.
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health stats
- Work-Life Balance feature is now available to all users, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- WLB 2.0 now supports automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Gallery now allows you to switch between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD brings you new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- Optimized software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
- Fixed the issue that unable to automatically connect to Wi-Fi
- Fixed the issue that wireless earphones cannot play a sound when connecting Bluetooth in specific scenarios
As we can see from the changelog, the update fixes the majority of bugs faced in the earlier builds of the OS. It also adds some new cards for earphone control, search, and more. You might have received the notification for the update on the device if you are on the open beta version. You can also check for the update manually by heading to the software update section in the settings app.
This is an early stable build so, it may contain some bugs and maybe a little uncomfortable for some users. If you are one of those users, you should wait for a review on the new OxygenOS 12. However, if you still want to try the new update, you can download and install it and roll back to the previous version using the rollback packages. But, you should make a backup before that as it will wipe your device.