The Lenovo-owned company, Motorola has plenty of successful devices. Among them, Moto G5 Plus is one was launched in April 2017. The smartphone was well received by the users and even the third-party developers showed interest. The same device has received TWRP support, and root access for installing Custom ROMs, Custom Kernels over time. In our guide today, we will let you know about how to install TWRP and Root Moto G5 Plus.
There are many benefits of rooting the Moto G5 Plus and installing a custom recovery. The user can upgrade the device to Android 10 based custom ROMs and can tweak its look using various customization mods. Rooting even allows the user to fully backup and restore the phone data with a single tap. It opens new ways to customize features and look for the smartphone.
Moto G5 Plus Specifications
Moto G5 Plus comes powered with Snapdragon 625 chipset coupled with an octa-core processor and Adreno 506 GPU. The smartphone comes in three different storage variants of 32GB + 2 GB RAM, 32GB + 3GB RA and 64GB + 4GB RAM.
It houses a 5.2-inch IPS LCD display featuring a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The display comes protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
In optics, there’s a 12-megapixel primary camera with dual-LED dual-tone flash. A single 5-megapixel shooter is present on the front for selfies and video calling. The smartphone hosts a Wifi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, RAdio and a MicroUSB 2.0 port in connectivity.
Moto G5 Plus sports a 3000 mAh non-removable battery with 15W fast charging. The device comes in Lunar Grey and Fine Gold colors.
Install TWRP on Moto G5 Plus
The first and the foremost thing before rooting any Android device is to install a custom recovery.
- Charge your phone up to >70%.
- Installing TWRP on Moto G5 Plus will wipe all data, so backup your important data.
- Unlock Moto G5 Plus Bootloader.
- Download Minimal ADB Tool for Windows/Mac
- Get Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download TWRP Recovery.
- Download Magisk v11.6
Points to Ponder:
Make sure to enable Developer Mode by heading to Settings>About> tap “Build Number” 7 times.
Now, enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking by heading to Settings > Developer Mode > and toggle both the above options.
Steps to Install TWRP on Moto G5 Plus
- Connect your smartphone with a PC/Laptop using a micro USB cable.
- After, enabling the USB debugging and OEM unlocking, reboot your device into bootloader mode by executing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, move the downloaded TWRP recovery into the ADB folder, and open Command Window by pressing Shift + Right Click in the same window.
- Execute the following command to flash the TWRP on Moto G5:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_potter.zip
- Reboot into TWRP recovery using ADB command:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Once in TWRP, select Decrypt/Data and hit Cancel. Now, “Swipe to Allow Modifications”. Go to Wipe, and then “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Now, Reboot from TWRP main menu if you don’t want to root, otherwise select reboot to Recovery with any other alteration.
- That’s it.
You have successfully unlocked the Moto G5 Plus bootloader. Now proceed below if you want to root Moto G5 Plus.
Root Moto G5 Plus
It is quite easy to root the Moto G5 Plus. Only you need to follow the instructions carefully. Make sure you have unlocked bootloader and TWRP installed on your smartphone.
- Enable USB Debugging mode as said in the “Points to Ponder” section.
- Copy the “no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip” and “Magisk-v11.6.zip” to phone storage.
- Boot into TWRP menu, and goto Mount and choose MTP.
- Now, select Install by coming back to the TWRP menu, and choose no-verity-opt-encrypt file and swipe to confirm flash.
- Reboot TWRP and flash Magisk.zip.
- Reboot system and enjoy!!
You have successfully got root access for Moto G5 Plus. If you get any problem, then do let us know via the comments below.