Discord has become the go-to option for many people. What started out as a simple solution for text and in-game calls has now turned into a place for friends and like-minded people to meet virtually, and hang out on various servers. Especially in recent times, Discord has bought people closer to one another virtually. Originally, a service running on VoIP, discord has come a long way. Discord recently introduced the group video calls feature. Along with video calls, participants can share their screens with others. This opens up a galore of use scenarios, such as watch parties, game streaming, and much more. However, as screen share is a relatively new feature, users are facing audio-related issues. One such common issue is the ” Discord screen share no audio issue”. Frequent Discord users might have faced this issue wherein the other participant can’t hear your audio while the screen share is on. In this article, we will enlist a number of causes and solutions to help you fix the issue.
Must See: How to add Games to Discord
What causes the Discord Screen Share No Audio issue?
As our devices are complex machines, it’s hard to point out a specific malfunctioning point. Hence there could be one or multiple reasons causing the issue. The common causes are enlisted below:
1. New Feature
The audio screen share feature of Discord was buggy at the time of release. Since than Discord has released numerous major and minor updates to iron out all the bugs. Thereby, users will face audio-related bugs on older versions of Discord.
2. App Incompatibility
Not all applications are completely compatible with screen sharing. Therefore you may face audio issues with versions of certain applications. Try alternatives to fix this issue.
3. Administrator Access
For streaming via screen share, Discord needs to have access to the contents on the screen. As a result, it may need administrative control to access the screen recording in certain scenarios. Audio and other issues may arise in absence of administrator access to the discord application.
4. Audio Drivers
The audio drivers on your system may be old and incompatible. Discord relies on these audio driers to function optimally. Hence old or legacy audio drivers may lead to issues.
Antivirus software is meant for the safety of the device. However, they sometimes may cause hindrances by restricting applications thereby leading to audio problems in a screen share.
Steps to Fix The Discord Screen Share No Audio Issue
Aforementioned are some of the common causes that may create the screen share function to not perform properly. Following are the solutions and fixes that you can follow to fix the issue. It is advised to follow these fixes in order, and try them one after another until the issue is fixed.
1. Refreshing the Session
This fix is primarily suggested for those facing the issue on Browsers such as Google Chrome. This method involves refreshing the screen share session by following the given steps:
- End your current screen share session in which you’re facing the audio issue.
- Refresh the Discord app by pressing Windows + R key simultaneously.
- Close your web browser and again open it.
- First, play audio in the browser and then start the screen sharing via discord. This should hopefully fix the issue, if not keep reading.
2. Update Discord Application
As mentioned earlier, one of the causes for the issue can be an outdated version of the Discord Application. Hence it is suggested to first update the application to its latest version. Follow the steps to update the Discord App:
- Press Win+R Buttons to launch the Run Command Box.
- Type %localappdata% and click enter.
- Find Discord Application in the list.
- Double Click on Discord and click on the Update.exe
- The update process will begin.
- Once finished, launch the discord app. After updating, check if the issue is resolved, if not, keep reading.
3. Check Audio Drivers
Discord screen share audio may malfunction if the audio drivers are faulty and not up-to-date. Follow the given steps to update the audio drivers of your windows machine.
- Press Win+R to start the Run command.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the command box and hit enter.
- Locate the Audio Category and right-click on Sound and Hardware.
- Select update drivers to update the latest drivers. Updating or installing drivers will lead to a reboot. This should fix the issue, if not keep reading.
4. Restart Machine
Sometimes a simple restart is all that’s needed to fix issues. There may be some activity running in the background that can cause audio issues and a reboot might fix it. If it doesn’t, keep reading.
5. Manually Add the Programme to Discord
If you’re still facing the issue with specific apps, try adding those manually to Discord (Detailed Guide). To do so, follow the given steps:
- Launch Discord.
- Navigate to Discord Settings.
- Click on the Game Activity Tab.
- Under the Game Activity Tab, click on Add It.
- From the drop-down menu, select the program or game that you want to add and click on Add Game.
- Turn on the toggle that’s present next to Overlay. If the issue still persists, keep reading.
6. Grant Administrative Access
As mentioned earlier, Screen Share function might not work optimally if Discord doesn’t have administrative access. To grant access, follow the steps:
- Open Windows File Explorer.
- Locate Discord’s Installation folder.
- Right-click on Discord.exe and select run as administrator.
- Click on OK to save the changes.
7. Reset Discord Voice Settings
Irregularities or conflicts in the Discord voice settings may also cause the audio to not work. To fix this issue, try resetting the voice settings to default. You can do so by following the given steps:
- Launch Discord and open Settings.
- Under Settings, navigate to the Voice & Video Tab.
- Click on the Reset Voice Setting Option under the Voice & Video tab.
- Press Okay. If the issue still exists, keep reading.
8. Avoid Fullscreen Mode
In fullscreen mode, Discord App faces certain permission conflicts. Hence it is advised to use the programmes and games in windowed mode while screen sharing.
9. Clean Discord Roaming Data / Cache
Irregularities in the files of the Discord App can also lead to screen share no audio issue. To fix this, it is advised to clear the Discord Roaming Data by following the below steps :
- Completely close Discord by exiting.
- Open Start Menu by pressing Windows Key and search %appdata%.
- Press Enter Key.
- Find the Discord folder.
- Right-click on Discord and press Delete.
- Restart Discord and try screen share, if the audio issue still exists, keep reading.
10. Temporarily Disable Antivirus
As previously stated, antivirus software can also sometimes create conflicts leading to no audio issue. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and then screen sharing, If the audio starts working, change your antivirus provider or contact your current vendor for a permanent solution. Your computer is exposed to higher risk when antivirus is disabled. Therefore it is advised to be extra cautious with your usage while antivirus is disabled. If disabling antivirus doesn’t solve your issue, keep reading.
11. Check Device Audio Settings
If your audio issue is still not resolved. check the audio settings of your device. In some cases, the microphone might be muted or the volume might be too low. You can check these settings by
- Press Win+R key to open Run.
- Type control mmsys.cpl sounds in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Kindly check the input and output devices via the Sound Settings pop-up box. If you don’t find any issues with the devices, keep reading.
12. Check Hardware
The microphone or the input audio device itself can be faulty. In such a scenario, replacing the hardware will be the only option. To verify that the hardware is malfunctioning, try using it on a different device. If it doesn’t work there also, there might be an issue with your hardware. If it works on the other device, keep reading.
13. Reinstall Discord
If you are still facing the issue of no audio on-screen share than try reinstalling discord as one of the last resort. To reinstall Discord
- Press the Windows Key and search for Control Panel in the search box.
- Open Control Panel.
- Under the View By Option, select Category, and click on Uninstall a programme.
- Right-click on Discord and press the uninstall option.
- Once the uninstalling process is completed, you can again install Discord.
- To install Discord
- Download the files from Discord’s website.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions and install Discord.
- Login into your account and relaunch the app.
- Try the screen sharing option to see if the audio issue is fixed.
We hope your issue of Discord screen share no audio was fixed by one of the aforementioned steps. If the issue still persists even after exhausting all of the above steps, kindly contact Discord Support or report the issue. The feature is still in developing stages. We hope that Discord irons out all these bugs in the upcoming updates. Until then, you can follow our guide in case you or any of your friend face the unpopular “Discord screen share no audio” issue.