Unlike other browsers, Firefox uses its own rendering engine. Accordingly, Mozilla has the power to try new improvements and changes. The company is now rolling out a new version of the browser, Firefox 96 for Android and desktop that brings a bundle of improvements. Also, the search engine becomes faster with each update.
The Mozilla Firefox 96 intends to squash every possible bug hindering the user experience. Both Desktop and Android platforms are upgrading with tons of improvements and a handful of new features. To mention a few, you get noise cancellation on calls, history highlights, and a refined home page. Refer to the changelog below for precise details.
- We’ve made significant improvements in noise suppression and auto-gain-control as well as slight improvements in echo-cancellation to provide you with a better overall experience.
- We’ve also significantly reduced the main-thread load.
- On macOS, Command-clicking links in Gmail now open them in a new tab as expected.
- Our newest release fixes an issue where video intermittently drops SSRC.
- It also fixes an issue where WebRTC downgrades screen sharing resolution to provide you with a clearer browsing experience.
- Plus, we’ve fixed video quality degradation issues on certain sites.
- Detached video in fullscreen on macOS has been temporarily disabled to avoid some issues with corruption, brightness changes, missing subtitles, and high CPU usage.
- Various security fixes
- We’ve added history highlights to recently visited sites.
- Firefox will now display better images for recent bookmarks on the home page.
- “Fill link from clipboard” has been improved for Android 12.
- Now, selecting ‘search group’ in ‘Jump back in’ switches to an active tab.
- We’ve fixed an interface problem where private tabs were displayed as normal tabs.
- The history delete button is now correctly labeled for screen readers.
- Duplicate history items are now merged.
- A rare crash when browsing bookmarks is now fixed.
- Deleted search groups are now repopulated after interacting with their tabs.
- You’ll now find Search Groups in Jump Back In will not also display in Recently Searched.
- You can now dismiss the keyboard when scrolling Home behind search dialog for a clearer, smoother experience.