Samsung started rolling out the December Security Patch update for their unlocked devices around 2 weeks ago. Even though they were busy with the One UI 3.0 beta testing, Samsung also started rolling out the latest Security Patch in the U.S at the beginning of December. As said earlier, after almost 2 weeks the Verizon based Galaxy Note9, A71, and other Samsung phones started receiving December 2020 security update. The update only seems to improve Security in the form of a routine Security Patch update.
The delay may be further felt by the users since not all of’em is going to get the update the same day. These OTA updates are always rolled out in batches for better bug tracking and for improving reception.
The update is not just limited for the flagships, some of the mid-range devices like the A51 are also receiving the December update. This could mean that more devices from Samsung will receive the update very soon.
The users can always push start a manual update by going into the Settings app and clicking on Software Update.
Some of the Verizon based Samsung devices and AT&T based devices are now receiving the December 2020 Secuirty Patch update in the U.S. Here is a list of the devices and the firmware version of the update for those devices.
Verizon based devices
- QP1A.190711.020.N960USQS5FTK3 for the Galaxy Note 9 was released on December 10.
- QP1A.190711.020.A716VSQS1BTK1 for the Galaxy A71 5G UW was released on December 9.
- QP1A.190711.020.A516VSQS1BTK1 for the Galaxy A51 5G UW was released on December 9.
- QP1A.190711.020.G781VSQS1BTL1 for the Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW was released December 2.
AT&T based devices
- QP1A.190711.020.F916USQS1BTK4 for the Galaxy Z Fold2 was released on December 4 and, the update weighs in around 277MB.
- QP1A.190711.020.T878USQS1ATK1 for the Galaxy Tab S7 5G was released on December 4 and, the update weighs in around 221MB.