The Galaxy Note series is the most advanced and powerful smartphone from Samsung. It features exceptional hardware with OneUI 3.0 based on Android 11 from Samsung. The Stylus is one of the key attractions and selling points of these devices. The Galaxy Note 20 and the Note 20 Ultra are the latest and probably the last smartphones of the Note series as Samsung is planning on merging them with the Z Fold series by 2021.
While the Note 20 Ultra was well received by the users, the smaller Note 20 was criticized by many reviewers for its underwhelming hardware. Its elder sibling featured everything shining in the market including the Snapdragon 865+, 120Hz 6.9” Dynamic AMOLED display, 12GB of RAM, UFS 3.0 storage and so much more.
Note: This is an updates tracker and will be updated regularly with the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series updates.
Galaxy Note 20 series update tracker
- [September 20, 2022]: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 starts receiving the September 2022 Security Patch in India. Ther firmwareN986BXXS5FVH7 is now rolling out to the users.
- [September 7, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra becomes the latest device to get the September 2022 security patch. The build is available for both LTE and 5G variants via firmware versions N98xFXXS5FVH7 and N98xBXXS5FVH7 respectively. It is rolling out in European countries, including Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- [August 17, 2022]: Samsung is rolling out a new update to the Verizon units of Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra smartphones in the US. The update comes with the firmware version number N981USQS2FVG6 and N986USQS2FVG6 for the Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra respectively. It brings the August 2022 security patch to the smartphones and is the same update that went live in Europe. The update brings fixes for issues like DesktopSystemUI, Bluetooth connectivity, Samsung DeX, WiFi service, and more.
- [July 7, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 20 and the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra in the US are now picking up the July 2022 security patch. Arriving on firmware version N98xU1UES2FVED, the build is available for the carrier-unlocked models on AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, and Xfinity Mobile’s networks.
- [July 6, 2022]: Samsung is now kicking off the July 2022 security patch for the Galaxy Note 20 5G. The update is rolling out in several European countries, including Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Romania. The users can identify the build by firmware version N981BXXS4FVG1.
- [June 21, 2022]: The June 2022 security patch is now reaching out to the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra in India. The build arrives on firmware versions N981BXXS4FVEA and N986BXXS4FVEA, respectively.
- [June 21, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra in the US are getting the June 2022 security patch. The update is rolling out for the carrier unlocked, T-Mobile, and Verizon networks through firmware version N98xUxxxx2FVEB.
- [May 23, 2022]: The carrier-locked variants of the Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra have started getting the May 2022 security patch. The update comes with firmware version N981USQS2FVE6 and is currently rolling out for Sprint and T-Mobile networks in the US.
- [May 9, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra are getting a new update with May 2022 security patch. Arriving on firmware version N986BXXS4FVD6, the build is rolling out in Brazil, while other regions will also get the update in the upcoming weeks.
- [May 3, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the May 2022 security patch update to the Galaxy Note 20 series. The build is unfurling in the United States via firmware version N98xU1UES2FVD6.
- [April 13, 2022]: The April 2022 security patch is reaching out to the Galaxy Note 20 series in more regions. The 5G variants of the Galaxy Note 20 and the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra are getting firmware version N98xBXXS3FVC8 in Poland, Switzerland, and the Baltic region. Whereas, the LTE variant of the Galaxy Note 20 is upgrading with firmware version N980FXXS3FVC8 in various European countries.
- [April 12, 2022]: The April 2022 security patch is now rolling out to the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra in the USA. The update is available for the carrier-unlocked models with the firmware version N98xU1UES2FVC7.
- [March 28, 2022]: The One U.4.1 package with March 2022 security patch is now reaching out to the carrier-unlocked variants of the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra. Arriving on firmware version N98xU1UEU2FVC5, the update is available for the Sprint and T-Mobile networks in the US.
- [March 23, 2022]: A similar package with One U.4.1 and March 2022 security patch is extending to the carrier-locked models of the Galaxy Note 20 duo in the US. The update is available on Comcast and Xfinity Mobile’s networks via firmware version N98xUSQU2FVC5.
- [March 22, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy S20+, and Galaxy S20 Ultra are receiving a new update in South Korea. The update arrives on the firmware version G98xNKSU1GVC3 and N98xNKSU1FVC5 respectively. It packs the March 2022 security patch and new features based on One U.4.1.
- [January 14, 2022]: The January 2022 security patch is rolling out for the international variants of Galaxy Note 20. For the Galaxy Note 20 and the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, it arrives on firmware version N98xBXXS3EULH. While the LTE variants are upgrading with N98xFXXS3EULH firmware.
- [December 14, 2021]: The unlocked Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra variants in the USA are receiving the December 2021 security patch. The build arrives via firmware version N98xU1UES2DUK2 for most US carrier networks, including AT&T, Bluegrass Cellular, Comcast, C-Spire, Verizon, and Xfinity Mobile.
- [November 24, 2021]: Samsung is rolling out the second iteration of the latest OneUI 4.0 Beta. The new update brings several new changes and fixes bugs related to the Clear View Display cover. The update is now available for Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy S20 Ultra, and Galaxy S20+ in the US. It carries the S/W version ZUKA and offers several fixes and optimizations.Changelog:
– Fixes Errors that don’t work at adaptive refresh rate 120Hz
– Fixed Quick share icon errors
– Fixed errors that don’t work at Samsung’s Clear View Display Cover
– Improved the operations of phone frame rate
– Improved operations while searching in the messages app
- [October 13, 2021]: October 2021 security patch is rolling out to the Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. The update is rolling out to the international variants via the firmware version N98xFXXS3DUIF. The patch claims to fix over five dozen vulnerabilities related to privacy and security.
- [August 31, 2021]: The T-Mobile variants of Galaxy Note 20 are grabbing the August 2021 patch and One UI 3.1.1 update. The build arrives on 98xUSQU2DUH1 firmware version for the locked variants while the unlocked variants get N98xU1UEU2DUH1. The One UI 3.1.1 adds Faster animations, New weather app, New “Bedtime mode” toggle in QS, and VoNR support on T-Mobile. Moreover, the Bluetooth panel loads faster now, Camera app loads faster. Plus, it Fixes the heating problem on Galaxy smartphones,
- [August 9, 2021]: The international variants of Galaxy Note 20 are grabbing a new update that includes the current security maintenance. The August 2021 patch is rolling out in Panama and Paraguay via firmware version N98xFXXS3DUG9. The patch fixes 40 privacy and security-related vulnerabilities. The package may also improve the device’s stability and bring some general bug fixes.
- [July 16, 2021]: Verizon and T-Mobile variants of Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra are grabbing the July 2021 security patch. The update bears the firmware version RP1A.200720.012.N981USQU2DUF2 and RP1A.200720.012.N986USQU2DUF2 respectively. This is just a minor bump in safety level and does not bring anything special. Though it addresses almost 20 privacy and security-related bugs.
- [July 8, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 20 units in the Netherlands and Belgium are grabbing the current security maintenance in July 2021. The latest build arrives via firmware version N98**XXU2DUF8 that weighs around 1GB in size. Looking at the size, it doesn’t look like a minor update. However, the official changelog is not yet disclosed. Though, the security concerns with Bluetooth and Messages app are resolved. Alongside, the much-reported Android-auto bug is also addressed via this update.
- [June 8, 2021]: Samsung is rolling June 2021 security patch for the Galaxy Note 20. The latest build bears the firmware version N98**XXS2DUF1 that weighs less than 180MB. Presently, the package is rolling out in the Netherlands and will be shortly released soon to other regions. The package does not carry anything apart from security improvements. The patch addresses 34 fixes for the Android OS and resolves 19 risks from Samsung’s own software. Moreover, this patch contains several fixes that are specifically relevant for the Exynos 990 processor.
- [April 5, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 20 5G is grabbing the latest April 2021 Android security patch. The new build for Galaxy Note 20 5G can be identified with firmware version N981U1UES2DUC8. The update does not bring any new features or changes to the user experience. However, the latest security level enhances the system security to keep your device protected against threats. The update is currently limited only to the USA and has yet to reach the Exynos variant of the Galaxy Note 20 series in European and Asian markets. The global rollout of the security patch is expected to hit soon to every Note 20 unit.
- [February 03, 2021]: Samsung has started sending the February 2021 Security Patch update to the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra devices. The updates are gradually rolling out on the N981U1UES1CUA1, and N986U1UES1CUA1 Firmware version (s) respectively in the United States. Apart from the February 2021 Security Patch update, there’s nothing new in this update.
- [January 11, 2021]: The Verizon network carrier-based Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra devices have started receiving the December 2020 security patch update. The update is rolling out on the N981USQU1CTLA Firmware version for Galaxy Note 20 devices and the N986USQU1CTLA Firmware version for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra users. As per the changelog, apart from the December 2020 security patch, the company has not added any new features to the device.
- [January 06, 2021]: After the fruitful rollout of the many updates to other smartphones, Samsung has now started seeding out the January 2021 security patch update to the Galaxy Note 20 users. As of now, there’s no official release note from the company about this update. So, the Security patch update usually includes bug fixes, improvements, and enhancements.
- [December 1, 2020]: Users who own any of the flagships from the Note 20 series might have noticed that they started receiving the December Security Patch Update. However, most of them might haven’t noticed that Samsung silently switched the original package. Some users who updated their Note 20 devices on the 1st day encountered some issues. The firmware version of the original package was N986BXXS1ATK1, and the one with the fix is N986BXXU1ATK4.
The update only seems to include the routine Android Security Patch. Since Samsung’s One UI 3.0 beta testing for the Note 20 series has been closed, we could expect a major update anytime soon.
- [August 7, 2020]: The Galaxy Note 20 received its first update from Samsung within a few days from its release. The new update weighs around 493.84 MB in size. The update includes the August Security Patch, some bug fixes, and improvements. You can read more on that from our dedicated article.
Samsung as always will be supporting the Note 20 series for the next 3 years. We could expect 2 major updates, some routine Security Patch updates, bug fixes, and improvements over these 3 years.