Google unveiled the Google Pixel 7 and 7 Pro smartphones in a Made by Google Event in October 2022. Both smartphones came with a Tensor G2 chipset which is more efficient than its predecessor. The Tensor G2 chipset is built using Samsung Foundry’s 5nm process. The Pixel 7 features a 6.3-inches display, and Pixel 7 Pro comes with a 6.7-inches LTPO display with a 120Hz refresh rate. The vanilla model has a 4270 mAh battery with 20W wired and wireless charging. In contrast, the Pro has a larger 5000 mAh battery with 23W wired and wireless charging. One of the problems that Pixel 7 series users face is the idle battery drain issue. Here’s a list of potential fixes that will fade away the Pixel 7 idle battery drain problem.
Many of them have been complaining since the launch of the smartphone. A user posted on Twitter that the low network reception leads to a high stand-by drain on the Pixel 7 series. Some others on Reddit say the phone reaches 20% even before 4 PM (after charging it at 10 AM). Other reasons might be the unrestricted apps or background processes on your smartphone. We decided to create a guide to help you solve your idle battery drain issue.
Solutions to fix Pixel 7 Idle Battery Drain Issue
Fix 1: Try Restricting the App’s Battery Usage
The first is by restricting the battery usage of apps on your Pixel 7 series smartphone. Often, there would be many apps that would work in the background without any restrictions. It will eat your battery and can be a cause for idle battery drain. To restrict those apps, follow the below-mentioned steps on your smartphone;
- For this, navigate to Setting on your Pixel 7 / 7 Pro. Choose the Battery menu from the homepage of Settings.
- There would be a list with the title App usage for the past 24 hr. Refer to the same to know the apps that consume your battery.
- Select the first app on the list and choose the Restricted option from the menu.
- Repeat the process for all apps in the list.
- Once done, it will restrict all apps’ background processes in your Pixel 7 series smartphone.
Fix 2: Disable Always-On Display
Another reason for the idle battery drain is enabling Always-On-Display on your smartphone. Disabling the same would help you solve idle battery drain to an extent. Follow the below-mentioned steps for the same;
- Navigate to Settings and open the Display on your device.
- Choose the Lock Screen option and disable the Always Show Time and Info toggle.
- Once done, wait a few days to check if it has stopped Always-On-Display.
Fix 3: Turn off Mobile Data Always Active
Modern-day smartphones have a feature to enable Mobile Data even while using Wi-Fi. It helps the device switch to mobile data if the smartphone cannot pick up a Wi-Fi signal. The feature helps maintain an active internet connection on the device. However, this feature also can be the reason for the idle battery drain on your smartphone.
- To disable, navigate to Settings, open About Phone, and tap on the build number seven times to enable Developer Settings.
- Once enabled open Developer Settings and disable the Mobile Data Always Active option.
Fix 4: Set Lower Screen Timeout
Choosing a more extended screen timeout may also be a reason for the idle battery drain on your Pixel 7 series smartphone. So, try setting a lower screen timeout by following the below-mentioned steps;
- Navigate to Settings and open the Display menu on your device.
- Choose the screen timeout option and set it to 15 seconds.
Fix 5: Update your Pixel smartphone and apps on your Device
Outdated software can be a reason for idle battery backup drain on your Pixel 7 series smartphone. Always make sure to update your phone to the latest security patch. Google always rolls out a security patch to fix various issues. Along with it, also update your apps using Google Play Store.
Fix 6: Turn off the Tap to Wake Feature
Even though smartphones these days come with many gestures, they also consume battery during the idle process. So, to enhance battery backup, it is better to disable these gestures.
- Navigate to Settings and open the Display menu.
- Choose the Lock Screen menu and disable the Tap to Check Phone and Lift to Check Phone options.
Fix 7: Disable Miscellaneous Features if Not in Use
Often, we see people enabling Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS and other features even though they are not using them. Disable these features to reduce the maximum idle drain on your Pixel 7 smartphone.
Fix 8: Turn off Physical Activity Permission
Those who own Smart Watch can track the steps using the compatible app of the device. The Physical Activity permission also consumes battery in the idle and can be turned off using the following steps. It is also the reason behind the overheating of the device. Overheating in the long term can also be the reason for the tear and wear of the battery.
- Navigate to the Applications menu after opening the Settings app.
- Open the app which is used for linking the smartwatch with your smartphone.
- Scroll down to the app’s permission settings and change app permission from Allowed to Disallowed.
Fix 9: Disable Adaptive Connectivity
The Pixel 7 series has a feature that helps to switch the device from 5G to 4G or 4G to 5G automatically based on usage. Technically, the feature is to save data and battery, i.e., there may be situations where one doesn’t need 5G all the time. Since the process happens constantly, it can consume a battery during an idle state.
- Navigate to Network and Internet menu on the Settings apps on your device.
- Disable the Adaptive Connectivity feature.
Fix 10: Try enabling Battery Saver or Extreme Battery Saver
If the above steps haven’t helped you to fix your idle battery drain issue, try enabling any of these battery savers.
- For this, navigate to Settings and choose the Battery menu.
- Tap on the Battery Saver menu and enable the toggle next to Use Battery Saver.
- If it doesn’t help, go to the Battery Saver menu, choose the Extreme Battery Saver option, click on When to use, and select the Always Use option.
We hope to solve the Pixel 7 idle battery drain issue with these ten different fixes. If the idle battery drain doesn’t decrease, even after following the solutions, then you should be in contact with Google.