In Q3 2020, Samsung officially launched Galaxy A42 5G with Android 10 pre-installed. The phone features a 6.6-inch Super AMOLED screen paired with 8GB RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage. Under the hood, it powers an octa-core processor based on the Snapdragon 750 5G chipset. In the shooting department, the phone houses a 48MP quad rear camera and a 20MP front snapper.
Must see: Download Android 12 wallpapers in full resolution
Samsung Galaxy A42 Update Tracker
- [January 10, 2023]: Samsung is already releasing the January 2023 Security patch for many other Galaxy devices. A42 5G users stateside can identify this new update by firmware version A426USQU4DVL2.
- [December 19, 2022]: The security update version A426U1UES4CVL1 for the carrier-unlocked Galaxy A42 5G brings in the November 2022 security patch and fixes 46 security vulnerabilities, thus protecting your device from potential hacks and other security threats.
- [December 16, 2022]: The Galaxy A42 5G is now receiving the November 2022 security patch in more markets. The update bumps the firmware version to A426U1UES4CVL1.
- [December 06, 2022]: The Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is the latest device to receive the November 2022 Security Patch update. The build comes as firmware version A426NKSU2DVK2.
- [October 21, 2022]: Verizon-based Samsung Galaxy A42 is receiving the October 2022 Security patch with the firmware SP1A.210812.016.A426USQS4CVI2. It even fixes the issue of messages not being received. Check the updated changelog:
The current software update:
Provides the most up to date Android security patches on your device.
Resolved an intermittent issue where the device didn’t receive text messages.
- [August 19, 2022]: Samsung has started pushing a new update to the Galaxy A42 smartphone. It gets the update with the August 2022 security patch and is live in Asian and European countries. The update is live in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Australia, Bulgaria, France, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, the Baltic region, and the Nordic region. It comes with the firmware version number A426BXXU3DVG3. The update comes with a dozen of fixes for various privacy and security-related concerns.
- [July 25, 2022]: The Galaxy A42 5G is now receiving the July 2022 security patch in more markets. The update bumps the firmware version to A426BXXS3DVF3, which can also bring some general big fixes and device stability improvements.
Precisely, the build is rolling out in multiple European countries, including France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- [July 11, 2022]: The carrier-locked version of Galaxy A42 5G is getting a new update in the US. The build packs the July 2022 security patch with firmware version A426U1UES4BVF1. It brings fixes for over 50 privacy and security vulnerabilities and also includes some general bug fixes & device stability improvements as well.
- [May 4, 2022]: Samsung is spinning out the goodness of Android 12 to the carrier-unlocked version of Galaxy A42 5G via firmware version A426U1UEU3BVD5. The build also tossed with the One UI 4.1 skin iteration and March 2022 security patch. It is rolling out on Bluegrass Cellular’s network, while more carriers are expected to package soon.
- [April 5, 2022]: The Galaxy A42 5G is getting the March 2022 security patch via a new update. Arriving on firmware version A426U1UEU3AVC1, the build is currently rolling out in Puerto Rico, while it could reach out to more regions soon.
- [March 24, 2022]: Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is getting the One UI 4.1 update in Italy via firmware version A426BXXU3DVC2. The build also packs the March 2022 security patch.
- [February 17, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the January 2022 security patch to the Galaxy A42 via firmware version A426BXXU3CVA9. It is rolling out in 13 countries, including the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Taiwan, and the UK
- [November 25, 2021]: Galaxy A42 5G in Europe is receiving a new update that arrives with comes with November 2021 security patch. The build carries the firmware version A426BXXU3BUI5. Besides the dozens of fixes added by the patch, the package can also carry some general bug fixes and device stability improvements.
- [April 27, 2021]: The Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is the latest device to receive the April 2021 Security Patch update. The build comes as firmware version A426BXXS1BUD3. This security patch fixes around 30 critical vulnerabilities from Google and 21 additional vulnerabilities from Samsung. You can read more about the changes here.
- [March 12, 2021]: Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is getting the latest Android 11 (based One UI 3.1) update. The new update will come with firmware version A426BXXU1BUB7 in the Netherlands. Visit our dedicated article to know about the changes.
As the update is having a phase-wise rollout, it may take some time to reach all the units. In the meantime, you can head to Settings > Software updates > Security updates to check the update manually. We also suggest you switch over to a WiFi network before downloading the update to avoid data charges.