Samsung released the Galaxy M31 in February 2020 followed by the Galaxy M31s in July of the same year. The Galaxy M31 features a 6.4 inch Super AMOLED display, while the size varies to 6.5 inches for Galaxy M1s. Both smartphones power Android 10 out of the box paired with up to 8GB RAM and 128GB of internal storage. Under the hood, they equip an octa-core processor based on Exynos 9611 chipset and Mali-G72 MP3 GPU. The smartphones have a 64MP primary rear camera and a 32MP snapper for selfies.
Must see: How to change Samsung Galaxy S10 Wallpaper and Theme
Note: This is an update tracker and will be updated regularly with the latest update releases for the device.
Samsung Galaxy M31 and M31s update tracker
- [August 31, 2022]: A new update with firmware version M315FXXU3CVH1 is rolling out for Galaxy M31 users in India. The build increases the system security by integrating the August 2022 security patch. The patch addresses dozens of vulnerabilities to protect your device from third-party threats. In addition, the update will bring a new version of some stock apps, including Notes, Internet, Members, Calculator, and Voice Recorder.
- [June 29, 2022]: Samsung is pushing a new update to the Galaxy M31s. The update is live in Europe and is rolling out as an Over the Air (OTA) update. The update comes with the firmware version number M317FXXS3DVF3. It brings the June 2022 security patch to the device. The update fixes over 66 vulnerabilities relating to privacy and security. Head to Settings to check if the update has reached your smartphone or not.
- [April 28, 2022]: A similar package with Android 12 and March 2022 security patch is reaching out to the Galaxy M31s. The build bears the firmware version M317FXXU3DVD4, which is currently rolling out in Russia, while it will soon extend to more regions as well.
- [April 12, 2022]: Samsung Galaxy M31 is getting the latest operating system, Android 12 along with One UI 4.1 on top. The update is rolling out in India with firmware version M315FXXU2CVCE. in addition, it brings the March 2022 security patch and redesigns 13 Samsung stock apps.
- [March 14, 2022]: The Galaxy M31s is receiving the March 2022 security patch. Arriving on the firmware version M317FXXU3CVA3, the update is presently rolling out in India.
- [March 4, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the February 2022 security patch to the Galaxy A31 units in India. The update bumps the firmware version to M325FXXU4AVB1.
- [February 17, 2022]: The February 2022 security patch is rolling out for the Galaxy M31. The update is arriving on the firmware version M315FXXS2BVB1 and is currently unfurling in Bolivia.
- [February 1, 2022]: Galaxy M31 is receiving the January 2022 security patch via a new update. The build is rolling out in India that carries the firmware version G781BXXS4DVA2/ G781BODM4DUL7/ G781BXXU4DUL7.
- [January 10, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the December 2021 security patch to the Galaxy M31. The update is live in India via firmware version M315FXXS2BUK2. The build does not bring any other significant changes.
- [September 10, 2021]: The September 2021 patch is rolling out to the Galaxy M31 smartphone. The update is live in India on the firmware version M315FXXU2BUH6. Besides, it adds the Samsung Pay Mini feature that enables the user to make payments via QR codes. Also, it also carries several bug fixes and system stability improvements.
- [August 25, 2021]: Samsung is rolling out the update for Galaxy M31s in India. The build carries the August 2021 security patch on the firmware version M317FXXU3CUH2. The patch addresses 40 security and privacy-related vulnerabilities in the system. Besides this, the update does not carry any major changes.
- [June 16, 2021]: The Galaxy M31 is receiving a new software update with June 2021 security patch. The build arrives on firmware version M315FXXU2BUF1, which is currently rolling out in India. The official changelog is not yet disclosed, but the new package might include device stability improvements. The current security maintenance includes 47 fixes from Google and 19 fixes from Samsung, including the ones that have been marked as critical.
- [March 12, 2021]: The Galaxy M31 is receiving the latest One UI 3.1 update. The latest software update carries the firmware version M315FXXU2BUC1 which weighs more than 1GB size. Along with the improvements in camera, device performance, and enhanced security, the update brings the March 2021 security patch for the smartphone. Head here to know the further details regarding the build.
- [March 10, 2021]: Samsung started rolling out the Android 11 One UI 3.1 update for the Galaxy M31s.The update bears firmware version M317FXXU2CUB1 and weighs about 2GB in size. Alongside this, it also packs the February 2021 Security patch. Galaxy M31s update is currently rolling out in Russia, Ukraine, Morocco, and Poland. To know more about the package, tap here.
- [February 9, 2021]: The Galaxy M31s is receiving the Android 11-based One UI 3.0 update. The new software carries a firmware version M317FXXU2CUB1, which is presently rolling out in Russia and Ukraine. Along with the Android 11 characteristics, the update brings the February 2021 security patch to the device. This is further tossed with One UI 3.0 features.
- [January 20, 2021]: Samsung has started sending out the Android 11-based One UI 3.0 stable update to the Galaxy M31 users. Along with this, the build carries the January 2021 security patch. Presently, the update is limited to India which arrives on the M315FXXU2BUAC firmware version. The build brings all the Android 11 goodies along with One UI 3.0 features on top. Tap here for more details.
- [July 22, 2020]: Samsung is pushing a new software update to Galaxy M31 model number SM-M315F in India. The package carries the July 2020 security patch and the changelog also mentions some new features for the device. The build can be identified by firmware version M315FXXU1ATG2 that weighs roughly 660MB in size. Visit our dedicated page to know about the new features.
- [June 3, 2020]: Samsung has just started rolling out the June 2020 security patch update for Galaxy M31. The update protects your device from possible security threats and also improves system stability. The update does not bring any new additions to the device. But, the latest security patch updates are also quite important to keep your device protected against several vulnerabilities.
Related: Samsung Galaxy A51 update tracker
The OTA update will roll out in phases and if you did not receive it already, you must be in line to get it shortly. To check the update manually, you can go to Settings > Software update. Before you start downloading the update, make sure your device holds enough juice and it is advisable to switch to a WiFi network if you’re on a limited data plan to avoid carrier data charges.