Google gave some design tweaks and Hangouts-style chat windows to its Chat websites last week. The new redesign allows users to minimize the chat list to only the user’s profile photos. The search giant is pushing this new design for free accounts which is a direct part of Gmail.
Google is drifting classic Hangouts users to use the free version of Chat. However, this depends on how long users have been able to invite any Gmail account to select conversations. The redesign appeared on the user’s personal account on both Android, iOS, and the Web as well.
- The navigation drawer on the left has been sleeked and contains chat shortcuts for single or group conversations.
- Moreover, the new Google Chat interface generates a shortcut to create and join a new meeting.
- This sidebar can be minimized by clicking the hamburger button so that only profile avatars appear.
- On the other side, the top bar displays a search bar, settings, and a dropdown to check out whether you’re “Active,” “Do not disturb,” or “Set as away.”
- Furthermore, conversations in compact windows can be docked.
- Conversations that appear on the right side can be further minimized.
- Google Drive insertion, video call invites, and other functions are available in this window.
As part of this change, Google is redirecting users from chat.google.com to mail.google.com/mail/u/0/chat/#chat/welcome.