Update: Redmi Note 9 receiving the July 2021 Security patch along with other changes.
Redmi Note 9 is a popular mid-range smartphone offering applaudable specs at a competitive price point. The smartphone was launched earlier this year running on MediaTek Helio G85 SoC, 6.53-inch IPS LCD display, and 48MP quad-rear camera. The smartphone offers value-for-money to all the buyers and the regular updates from the company are making the deal sweeter. You can check information about all the Redmi Note 9 updates in our tracker.
The smartphone measures 162.3 x 77.2 x 8.9 mm in size and weighs 199 grams. A beautifully design quad-camera modules sits on the rear side featuring configuration of 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP. Meanwhile, a 13-megapixel primary camera is present on the front side of the pone. The device coupled BL 5.0, GPS, NFC, IR, USB TypeC 2.0, and WiFi in connectivity. There’s a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor for easy accessibility. A 5020 mAh battery is present with 18W fast charging and 9W reverse charging. It is available in three color options of Forest Green, Midnight HGrey, and Polar White.
Apart from good hardware, Redmi is offering regular updates and security patches for the smartphone. In this tracker, you can see all the detail of each update the device has received until now.
Note: The updates are listed in Descending Order (Date). We will keep updating this post to reflect the latest updates. You can bookmark this page to get the latest update news about the Redmi Note 9.
Redmi 9/ Note 9 Update Tracker
- [July 20, 2021]: The Redmi 9 India(cattail) Variant received July 2021 Security Patch via the firmware build V188.8.131.52.QCTINXM. You can Download OTA from here and recovery ROM from here.
- [June 28, 2021]: The Redmi 9 is grabbing a new stable update globally with firmware version V184.108.40.206.RJCEUXM. The build carries the June 2021 security patch along with the latest stable MIUI based on Android 11 OS, MIUI 12.5. As far as features are concerned, MIUI 12.5 brings enhanced performance, UI tweaks, new animations, privacy features, an updated Notes app, and a lot more. Moreover, the changelog also mentions that location info can be now reported automatically before the device is powered off.
- [May 21, 2021]: Xiaomi is sending the May 2021 security patch to Redmi Note 9 units based on android 10 OS. The bump in level enhances the system security improvements from different kinds of security vulnerabilities. The new build bears the firmware version V220.127.116.11.QJOINXM is currently rolling out in India. The package also adds a new change that can automatically report location info before switching off the device.
- [March 02, 2021]: The Redmi Note 9 Global and Russian users have started picking the February 2021 Security patch update. The update appears on the firmware version V18.104.22.168.QJOMIXM for the global users and the V22.214.171.124.QJORUXM for the Russian users. The update comes with the latest Security patch, optimizations, and bug fixes. It optimizes the app launch speed, Multiple system features are more responsive now, and the Camera works faster and better now. The update fixes the Multiple issues triggered by insufficient RAM resources.
- [February 22, 2021]: Xiaomi has begun spinning out the February 2021 Security patch update of the Redmi 9 users. The update is arriving on the build version MIUI 126.96.36.199 QJCIDXM, which weighs nearly 185MB in size, and as of now, it is currently limited to Indonesian markets only. Talking about the changelog, apart from the latest security patch, there’s nothing new in this update.
Firmware version: MIUI 188.8.131.52 QJCIDXM
Security patch level: February 2021
OTA Apply for V184.108.40.206
- [February 08, 2021]: The Redmi Note 9 5G users have started experiencing a new update with the February 2021 Security patch. The update bears the Firmware version V220.127.116.11.QJSCNXM ad it’s currently rolling out to the Chinese users. As per the changelog, the update adds the new Security patch brings optimizations, and improvements to the system security. Besides these, there’s nothing new in the update.
- [February 04, 2021]: Xiaomi has started steering out a new update for the Redmi 9 users with the January 2021 Security patch. The update bears the MIUI V18.104.22.168.QJCMIXM Firmware version and it is rolling out Globally. Apart from the January 2021 Security patch, the company has included anything in this update. Interested users can download the updated OTA file by following the below and flash it manually.
Firmware Version: V22.214.171.124.QJCMIXM
OTA Apply for V126.96.36.199
- [January 23, 2020]: Xiaomi has started seeding out the January 2021 security patch update to the Redmi Note 9 Turkey users. The update is spinning out on the MIUI V188.8.131.52.QJZTRXM Firmware version and comes only with the January 2021 Security patch. So, this update is only meant to increase the Security patch level of the smartphone. Interested users can download the updated OTA file and install it manually.
Firmware Version: V184.108.40.206.QJZTRXM
OTA Apply for V220.127.116.11
- [January 8, 2021]: A couple of days back, Xiaomi has rolled out the MIUI 12 update to the Redmi 9 Indian users. Now, the company has started seeding out the same update to Chinese users. The update bears the V18.104.22.168.QJCCNXM Firmware version and weighs nearly 2GB in size. Talking about the changes, it comes with MIUI 12 features & goodness, fixes, optimizations, and improvements.
Redmi 9 (China)
November 2020 Security Patch
- [December 02, 2020]: Xiaomi has started seeding out the November 2020 Security Patch update for the Redmi Note 9 users. The update bears the V22.214.171.124.QJOINXM Firmware version for Indian users and the V126.96.36.199.QJOIDXM for Indonesian users. As per the changelog, the update adds the latest Security patch, new add-ons, and optimizations. For a piece of clear information, we have dropped the update changelog below.
Redmi Note 9 (India) – V188.8.131.52.QJOINXM
Redmi Note 9 (Indonesia)- V184.108.40.206.QJOIDXM
[November 19, 2020]: After the successful rollout of the October 2020 Security patch update, Xiaomi has started seeding out the November 2020 security patch update for the Redmi 9 users. The update bears the V220.127.116.11.QJORUXM Firmware version for Russian users and the V18.104.22.168.QJOTRXM Firmware version for Turkey users. As stated by the changelog, the update packs with the latest Security patch, a new add-on (Tapping a blank spot in the Control centre closes it now), and optimizations for Control centre layout in landscape mode.
October 2020 Security Patch
[November 6, 2020]: Xiaomi is rolling out the October Security 2020 Patch for Remi Note 9 in Indonesia. The firmware version V22.214.171.124.QJOIDXM is a rolling OTA update. There are no other improvements or feature addition via the latest update.
However, if you find MIUI annoying, then you can try other custom ROMs as listed in this guide. There are several options live LineageOS 17.1, Evolution X, and Pixel Experience ROM for a better experience.