The Galaxy Note series is the most advanced and powerful smartphone from Samsung. It features exceptional hardware with OneUI 3.0 based on Android 11 from Samsung. The Stylus is one of the key attractions and selling points of these devices. The Galaxy Note 20 and the Note 20 Ultra are the latest and probably the last smartphones of the Note series as Samsung is planning on merging them with the Z Fold series by 2021.
While the Note 20 Ultra was well received by the users, but the smaller Note 20 was criticized by many reviewers for its underwhelming hardware. Its elder sibling featured everything shining in the market including the Snapdragon 865+, 120Hz 6.9” Dynamic AMOLED display, 12GB of RAM, UFS 3.0 storage and so much more.
Note: This is an updates tracker and will be updated regularly with the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series updates.
Galaxy Note 20 series update tracker
- [July 16, 2021]: Verizon and T-Mobile variants of Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra are grabbing the July 2021 security patch. The update bears the firmware version RP1A.200720.012.N981USQU2DUF2 and RP1A.200720.012.N986USQU2DUF2 respectively. This is just a minor bump in safety level and does not bring anything special. Though it addresses almost 20 privacy and security-related bugs.
- [July 8, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 20 units in Netherlands and Belgium are grabbing the current security maintenance, July 2021. The latest build arrives via firmware version N98**XXU2DUF8 that weighs around 1GB in size. Looking at the size, it doesn’t look like a minor update. However, the official changelog is not yet disclosed. Though, the security concerns with Bluetooth and Messages app are resolved. Alongside, the much-reported Android-auto bug is also addressed via this update.
- [June 8, 2021]: Samsung is rolling June 2021 security patch for the Galaxy Note 20. The latest build bears the firmware version N98**XXS2DUF1 that weighs less than 180MB. Presently, the package is rolling out in the Netherlands and will be shortly released soon to other regions. The package does not carry anything apart from security improvements. The patch addresses 34 fixes for the Android OS and resolves 19 risks from Samsung’s own software. Moreover, this patch contains several fixes that are specifically relevant for the Exynos 990 processor.
- [April 5, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 20 5G is grabbing the latest April 2021 Android security patch. The new build for Galaxy Note 20 5G can be identified with firmware version N981U1UES2DUC8. The update does not bring any new features or changes to the user experience. However, the latest security level enhances the system security to keep your device protected against threats. Reportedly, the update is currently limited only to the USA and is yet to reach the Exynos variant of the Galaxy Note 20 series in European and Asian markets. The global rollout of the security patch is expected to hit soon to every Note 20 unit.
- [February 03, 2021]: Samsung has started sending the February 2021 Security Patch update to the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra devices. The updates are gradually rolling out on the N981U1UES1CUA1, and N986U1UES1CUA1 Firmware version (s) respectively in the United States. Apart from the February 2021 Security Patch update, there’s nothing new in this update.
- [January 11, 2021]: The Verizon network carrier-based Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra devices have started receiving the December 2020 security patch update. The update is rolling out on the N981USQU1CTLA Firmware version for Galaxy Note 20 devices and the N986USQU1CTLA Firmware version for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra users. As per the changelog, apart from the December 2020 security patch, the company has not added any new features to the device.
- [January 06, 2021]: After the fruitful rollout of the many updates to other smartphones, Samsung has now started seeding out the January 2021 security patch update to the Galaxy Note 20 users. As of now, there’s no official release note from the company about this update. So, the Security patch update usually includes bug fixes, improvements, and enhancements.
- [December 1, 2020]: Users who own any of the flagships from the Note 20 series might have noticed that they started receiving the December Security Patch Update. However, most of them might haven’t noticed that Samsung silently switched the original package. Some users who updated their Note 20 devices on the 1st day encountered some issues. The firmware version of the original package was N986BXXS1ATK1, and the one with the fix is N986BXXU1ATK4.
The update only seems to include the routine Android Security Patch. Since the One UI 3.0 beta testing for the Note 20 series has been closed by Samsung, we could expect a major update anytime soon.
- [August 7, 2020]: The Galaxy Note 20 received its first update from Samsung within a few days from its release. The new update weighs around 493.84 MB in size. The update includes the August Security Patch, some bug fixes, and improvements. You can read more on that from our dedicated article.
Samsung as always will be supporting the Note 20 series for the next 3 years. We could expect 2 major updates, some routine Security Patch updates, bug fixes, and improvements over these 3 years.