After upgrading the high-end flagships, OnePlus is now planning to update its mid-range offerings. The standard OnePlus Nord is now getting the first beta of Android 12 based OxygenOS 12. The device was launched back in 2020 pre-installed with Android 10 OS.
As per a recent post on the OnePlus Community forums, the original OnePlus Nord users can experience the Android 12 features before its official release. To do so, navigate to Settings > System > System Updates > Top Right Icon > Local Upgrade.
- [Added] Smart Battery Engine, a feature that prolongs your battery life based on smart algorithms and biomimetic self-restoration technology
- [Optimized] desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Dark mode
- [Supported] three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- [Added] new additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- [Added] access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- WorkLife Balance
- [Added] WorkLife Balance feature, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- [Supported] automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- [Supported] switching between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- [Added] new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- [Added] multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- [Optimized] software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
- [Added] HyperBoost end-to-end frame rate stabilizer
- [Added] Voice effect preview to allow you to record your voice effect or check your voice effect in real-time]
However, keep in mind that the beta build can carry some bugs and glitches. Also, some third-party apps might not work as expected. In fact, OnePlus has listed some issues that the beta testers might encounter.
- The left bottom button of the keyboard may disappear.
- Unable to browse, delete and download pictures in Cloud.
- Personal Safe may not respond.
- Anti-shake effect in Snapchat may not be obvious.
- The screen may flicker when previewing after taking pictures.
In case the beta build is not suitable for you, you can roll back to the previous stable channel. Though it will brush away the phone’s internal storage.