Samsung officially launched the Galaxy Note 9 in August 2018 with Android 8.1 Oreo. The phone features a 6.4-inch screen paired with 8GB RAM and up to 512GB of internal storage. Under the hood, it powers an octa-core processor based on Snapdragon 845 or Exynos 9810 chipset depending upon region. In the shooting department, the phone houses a 12MP dual rear camera and an 8MP front snapper.
Note: This is an update tracker and will be updated regularly with the latest update releases for the Galaxy Note 9.
Galaxy Note 9 Updates Tracker
- [May 20, 2022]: Samsung is spinning off the May 2022 Security Patch for Galaxy Note 9. The update is rolling out in Germany with firmware version N960FXXS9FVE1. It will be soon available for more regions as well.
- [April 6, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 9 in the US is receiving the March 2022 Security Patch. The Galaxy Note 9 with model number SM-N960U is getting firmware version N960USQS9FVC5 from Sprint and T-Mobile. Meanwhile, the unlocked Galaxy Note 9 with model number SM-N960U1 is getting firmware version N960U1UES9FVC2.
- [March 1, 2022]: The February 2022 Security Patch is extending to more regions via firmware version N960FXXS9FVB1. The build is rolling out in Austria, Bulgaria, Caucasus countries, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Nordic countries, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, the Baltic region, the Netherlands, and Uzbekistan.
- [February 18, 2022]: The Galaxy Note 9 in the US is receiving the February 2022 Security Patch. For the carrier-locked versions, the update is rolling out on Comcast and T-Mobile networks via firmware version N960USQS9FVB2. Whereas, for the unlocked models, it is available on AT&T, Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular South, Comcast, Sprint, Tracfone, T-Mobile, and Verizon through build number N960U1UES9FVB1.
- [January 28, 2022]: Samsung is releasing a new update to the carrier-locked and unlocked Galaxy Note 9 units in the US. It is packed with January 2022 security patch that fixes various vulnerabilities. For the carrier-locked models, the build bears the firmware version N960USQS9FVA1. The version differs from N960U1UES9FVA1 for the unlocked units.
- [November 5, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 9 is getting a new update that adds the November 2021 security patch. Arriving on firmware version N960NKSU3FUJ2, the update is currently live in Korea. The patch fixes dozens of privacy and security-related vulnerabilities. Also, it might include some general bug fixes and device stability improvements.
- [August 23, 2021]: Samsung is rolling out a new software update for the Galaxy Note 9 that carries the August 2021 security patch. Presently, the build is limited in South Korea on the firmware version N960NKSU3FUH1 weighing 220MB in size. The patch fixes almost 40 security and privacy-related vulnerabilities.
- [July 16, 2021]: The Verizon and T-Mobile variants of Galaxy Note 9 are grabbing the July 2021 security patch. The fresh update weighs almost 170MB and arrives on firmware version QP1A.190711.020.N960USQS9FUF1. The update does not carry anything special but it resolved almost 20 privacy and security-related risks.
- [June 9, 2021]: The Unlocked variants of Galaxy Note 9 in the USA are grabbing a new software update. The latest update for the Galaxy Note 9 in the US arrives on firmware version N960U1UEU8FUE1. Talking about the changes, the package brings improvements in system performance. Also, it is accompanied by the current security maintenance, June 2021 patch. To know about more features the build carries, visit our dedicated article.
- [April 19, 2021]: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is now finally receiving the April 2021 security patch update. The new update of the smartphone carries the firmware version N9600ZHS7FUD1. Presently, the build is unfurling in South Africa and China, while the units in other regions will get similar treatment soon. The update is a minor bump and does not add anything special.
- [March 24, 2021]: The Galaxy Note 9 has started tasting the March 2021 Security Patch. The build version N960NKSU3FUC1 can identify the update, and it is currently available to the unlocked and carrier variants (KT and SKT) in South Korea. The package incorporates three vulnerabilities fixes that are related to the Exynos 990 processor. Additionally, it also includes the 16 other vulnerabilities related to Galaxy devices.
- [July 10, 2020]: Samsung is rolling out the July security update to the Galaxy Note 9. It is to note that this particular update is initially available for users in Germany and comes with firmware version N960FXXS6ETG1. The company will be rolling out the update to other markets pretty soon. July security update addresses several Android OS and Galaxy series-specific vulnerabilities. Head here to know further improvements the build carries.
- [June 11, 2020]: The Galaxy Note 9 received the latest May 2020 security patch. Now, the company has started rolling out One UI 2.1 for the Galaxy Note 9 in Germany. firmware version N960FXXU5ETF5. The new UI includes features like Quick Share, camera improvements, and more. For precise details and features of the package, click here.
- [May 15, 2020]: The unlocked Galaxy Note 9S is receiving May 2020 security patch update in the US. The smartphone is receiving a new update with firmware version N960U1UES4DTD1. Apart from the May 2020 Security patch, the update does not feature any extra amenities for the device.
- [May 13, 2020]: The Korean giant is rolling out May 2020 security patch update for Galaxy Note 9. The new update for the Galaxy Note 9 is now rolling out in Germany with the firmware version N960FXXS5DTE2. Apart from the usual fixes, the new firmware adds some fixes to improve the overall stability of the smartphone. Click here to know more.
- [April 2, 2020]: Samsung’s starts rolling out April security patch on its 2018 flagship Galaxy Note 9. The update comes with firmware version N960FXXU5DTCA and weighs about 468.26 MB in size. The video shooting is also and general camera performance is also improved. There are UI changes like the power button is seen in the notification area you can see that in the photo. Head here to know the precise details.
- [February 3, 2020]: The US Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is now receiving the Android 10 update. The Galaxy Note 9 bearing model number SM-N960U1 has started receiving the over-the-air update in the US. The update with the firmware version N960U1UEU3DTA5 weighs over 1.9GB in size. Along with the luxuries of Android 10, the company also packed the January Security patch 2020. Know the exciting Android 10 features here.
- [October 19, 2018]: Samsung finally starts rolling out Android Security Patch for the month of October on its Galaxy Note 9. The update weighs 67.5MB in size and comes with the firmware version N960FXXS2ARJ4. It includes the October Security Patch along with some improvements in the performance of the device. The patch includes the fixes for 2 Android OS critical vulnerabilities. However, Samsung has also added corrections for 11 vulnerabilities found in its own software.
- [September 12, 2018]: The Note 9 users have reported that they have been receiving September 2020 security updates. The update carries the firmware version N960FXXS2ARH6 in the Baltic region, Romania, Bulgaria Slovakia, etc. It fixes some existing bugs and also updates the latest September security patch. The update also enhances the performance of the device by solving those vulnerabilities.
As the update is having a phase-wise rollout, it may take some time to reach all the units. In the meantime, you can head to Settings > Software updates > Security updates to check the update manually. We also suggest you switch over to a WiFi network before downloading the update to avoid data charges.