[September 20, 2021] Update: Mobitech Creation Pvt. Ltd, which is handling the marketing and sales of OnePlus phones in India says that Gaurav Gulati’s posts were misleading and “malicious mala fide intent to harm OnePlus’s goodwill and reputation.” Further, the company says that the damage appears to have been caused due to external force to the battery pole. This adds to Gaurav’s rejection to get the device examined by a company executive.
For all these reasons, the company has sent a cease and desist letter to the lawyer for posting self-contradictory tweets. The notice says that the responses and tweets by Gaurav Gulati are unverified. Also, the company asks for an apology and confirmation to not make any tweets that will damage OnePlus’s reputation.
The original story follows below…
Last month, a couple of users reported the explosion case of their OnePlus Nord 2 smartphone. Again, another smartphone unit has blown up in India. The user is a lawyer who claimed that his new device caught fire while doing nothing! The unit just busted up while it was resting idle.
The user, Gaurav Gulati took this incidence to Twitter where he told that his OnePlus Nord 2 unit caught fire and exploded. And this time, it was not a manufacturing defect as the device was not even in use. The lawyer claims that the smartphone was inside his black robe and suddenly he felt something hot inside the pocket.
Realizing this, Mr. Gulati said he saw smoke coming out of the device as he threw away his robe. The OnePlus Nord 2 later caught fire and exploded inside the court chamber. He further mentioned, the device was on charging and was even not in use. Also, around 90% of the backup was left when the incident took place.
OnePlus noticed the event and asked Mr. Gulati to submit his device. But he said that the company is “quite insensitive to injuries and trauma I have suffered.” And, he decided to take legal action. The device is now with the police with an official complaint against the company’s branch in India. Moreover, the consumer court is also a part of the matter now as the lawyer demanded to block the sales of the OnePlus Nord 2 in India.
“Last evening, an individual notified us about an alleged blast case for the OnePlus Nord 2 on Twitter, and our team immediately reached out to this individual to verify the legitimacy of the claim. We take every claim such as this very seriously out of concern for user safety. However, despite multiple attempts to analyze the device, including a visit to the premises earlier today to examine it in the individual’s presence, he has so far denied us the opportunity to perform a proper diagnosis. Under such circumstances, it is impossible for us to verify the legitimacy of this claim or address this individual’s demands for compensation,” said OnePlus in response to the lawyer’s action.