Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 was disclosed last year on August 5 holding a 7.6-inch screen size with a Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X display. As per records, the smartphone’s pre-bookings were four times that of Galaxy Fold. It runs on Android 10 out of the box with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ chipset. The device features a triple rear camera, all consisting of 12MP sensors and a single 10MP selfie lens.
Note: This is an update tracker and will be updated regularly with the latest update releases for the Galaxy Z Fold 2.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Update Tracker
- [August 31, 2023]:The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting the One UI 5.1.1 update in Asia, Europe, and Australia. The new firmware build number for the phone in these regions is F916BXXU4KWH7.
- [August 22, 2023]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 getting the August 2023 security update in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay with firmware version F916BXXS4JWH3. The Galaxy Fold is getting updated with the August 2023 security patch via a firmware version F900FXXS7HWG1 and this update is available in Brazil and France. The 5G version of the Galaxy Fold is getting the new software update with firmware version F907BXXS7HWG1 in the UK.
- [May 06, 2023]: Samsung is rolling out the May 2023 security update to Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphones. The latest software update for the Galaxy Z Fold 2 bumps up the phone’s firmware version to F916BXXS2JWE1.
- [March 05, 2023]: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting the new software update via firmware version TP1A.220624.014.F916USQU2JWB5. This software update has been tested to optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches.
- [February 21, 2023]: The One UI 5.1 update for the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is rolling out with firmware version F916BXXU2JWB5. The update is now live in Europe. The new update also brings the February 2023 security patch that fixes over four dozen security vulnerabilities.
- [January 26, 2023]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 started receiving the Android 13-based One UI 5.0 update in the US last month. The new firmware version is F916USQU2IVK5. The handset is picking up the November 2022 security patch with this release.
- [December 15, 2022]: The Android 13-based One UI 5.0 update for the unlocked Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the US comes with firmware version F916U1UEU2IVK5 is rolling out in US.
- [November 24, 2022]: The Z Fold 2’s Android 13 update bearing firmware version F916BXXU2IVK3, comes bundled with the November 2022 security patch. It is only available in the United Kingdom.
- [November 11, 2022]: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting the update across Europe via firmware version F916BXXS2HVK1. The November 2022 Security Patch fixes close to four dozen security vulnerabilities and also bring general bug fixes and stability improvements.
- [October 10, 2022]: Samsung is extending the availability of the October 2022 Security Patch for the Galaxy Z Fold 2. This time, the update is rolling out in the US for the Verizon carrier network with firmware version F916USQS2HVI8.
- [October 6, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the October 2022 security patch for the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The update is rolling out in Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Romania, Southeast Europe, the Czech Republic, and the Baltic region. It can be identified with firmware version F916BXXS2HVI8. The build may also include some general bug fixes and device stability improvements. Also, the patch fixes 49 vulnerabilities found in Galaxy devices.
- [September 15, 2022]: The second generation Galaxy Z Fold 2 is grabbing the Android 12L-based OneUI 4.1.1 update along with September 2022 Security patch in Germany. The firmware version F916BXXU2HVHA is now rolling out.
- [July 18, 2022]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the US is getting the July 2022 security patch update. The build is available on the firmware version F916U1UES2HVF6 for the unlocked version and F916USQS2HVF3 for the carrier-locked variant. The patch resolves over 50 privacy and security-related vulnerabilities. Also, it might bring some general bug fixes and device stability improvements.
- [July 1, 2022]: The June 2022 security patch is now available for the Galaxy Z FOld 2 in the US. The update is rolling out for the carrier-unlocked model with the firmware version F916U1UES2GVEA. As mentioned by Samsung, the build might as well resolve some issues and improve the device’s performance.
- [June 3, 2022]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting a new software update in Germany via firmware version F916BXXU2GVE9. The build packs the June 2022 security patch that increases the system’s privacy by addressing known vulnerabilities.
- [May 17, 2022]: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting a new update in the USA via firmware version F916U1UES2GVD2. The build does not carry any significant changes. However, it improves privacy by integrating the May 2022 security patch.
- [April 15, 2022]: The April 2022 security patch update is reaching out to the Galaxy Z Flip 2 in the USA. It is available for the unlocked model and the carrier variants with firmware number F916U1UES2GVC8.
- [April 12, 2022]: Samsung is releasing the April 2022 security patch update to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 with firmware version F916BXXS2GVCA. The build is available in some European markets, including Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Romania, Southeast Europe, the Baltic region, and the Czech Republic.
- [March 22, 20222]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting a new update in South Korea via firmware version F916NKSU1FVC5. The build brings some new features introduced by One UI 4.1. Also, it improves privacy by integrating the March 2022 security patch.
- [February 18, 2022]: The February 2022 security patch is extending to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the US. The update arrives on firmware version F916U1UEU2FVAB which is live for all US carrier networks, including AT&T, Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular South, Comcast, C-Spire, Tracfone, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Xfinity Mobile.
- [February 16, 2022]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is getting February 2022 security patch via the firmware version F916BXXS2FVB1. It is rolling out in Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Romania, Southeast Europe, the Baltic region, and the Czech Republic.
- [January 25, 2022]: The January 2022 security patch is live for the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The update is live for the Verizon-based models in the USA via the firmware version F916USQS2FULH. Also, it fixes some known bugs and improves system performance.
- [November 17, 2021]: The Verizon-based Galaxy Z Fold 2 models are getting a new update that adds November 2021 security patch to the device. The build bumps the firmware version to RP1A.200720.012.F916USQS2EUJ1. Besides, it does not carry any other significant changes.
- [October 21, 2021]: Unlocked Galaxy Z Fold 2 starts getting October 2021 security patch in the US. The update on Galaxy Fold 2 comes with firmware version F916U1UES2EUI3 in the US. The October 2021 security patch will have more than 60 security-related vulnerabilities. It will improve the overall stability of the smartphone.
- [September 30, 2021]: Samsung has started rolling out a new update for the South Korean variants of the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The update is live for carriers like LG U+, KT Corporation, and SK Telecom. It comes with the October 2021 security patch and with the build number F916NKSU1DUI4. Yesterday, the brand had pushed the same update for Z Fold 3 and Flip 3. Apart from the security patch, the update doesn’t bring any major changes. Since the update is rolling out as OTA, it will take some time to reach your unit.
- [September 24, 2021]: Samsung is rolling out a new update for the international models of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2. The update is now rolling out for more than a dozen countries and comes with the firmware version number F916BXXS2EUI. It brings the September 2021 security for the device. Apart from the security patch, the update doesn’t bring any major changes. The update also adds a few apps required by the Russian Govt for the Russian units. It weighs under 200MB and is rolling out every unit of Z Fold 2.
- [September 6, 2021]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is grabbing the September 2021 security patch update in the USA. The build is live for the unlocked variant on all networks including AT&T, Comcast, C-Spire, Sprint, Bluegrass Cellular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Xfinity Mobile. It bears the firmware version F916U1UEU2EUH8. Also, it is likely to carry One UI 3.1, we don’t have any official changelog though.
- [September 6, 2021]: The carrier-locked version of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the US is getting the August 2021 security patch. The build is spinning for Sprint & T-Mobile’s network via the firmware version F916USQU2EUH5. Alongside, it could probably pack One UI 3.1.1 improvements.
- [July 29, 2021]: Samsung has started testing an upgraded version of One UI 3.1, One UI 3.1.1 for the Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphones. The build will arrive through the firmware version F916NKSU1DUG7 in its home country. Though the number may differ for the variants in other regions. For more information, visit our dedicated article.
- [July 26, 2021]: Samsung has started sending the July 2021 security patch to the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The new update is rolling out in Germany via the firmware version F916BXXU1DUF1. As defined by Samsung, the current maintenance brings fixes for over 20 security and privacy-related risks. Moreover, it addresses the much-reported Android Auto bug.
- [June 18, 2021]: The Sprint variants of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the USA are receiving a new software update with June 2021 security patch. The fresh upgrade for the model number SM-F916U can be identified by firmware version F916USQS1DUE3. The changelog of the update is not yet disclosed, but we don’t expect any new additions. Internally, the patch brings over 60 fixes, out of which 47 are from Google and the rest from Samsung.
- [June 8, 2021]: The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is grabbing the current security maintenance, June 2021 patch. The update arrives on firmware version F916BXXS1DUE5, which is currently live in Ukraine. The other countries will also get a hit by the next couple of weeks. The update does not bring any major changes to the device. Also, Samsung is yet to publish detailed documentation regarding this security patch.
- [May 3, 2021]: Samsung is releasing the April 2021 Android security patch to the 5G units of Galaxy Z Fold 2. The new software arrives on build version F916USQU1DUCE, which is currently limited to Sprint’s and T-Mobile’s networks in the USA. With the bump in safety level, comes enhanced system stability and numerous bug fixes. Besides more than 30 glitches fixed by Google, Samsung fixes 21 other critical security vulnerabilities. The changelog also mentions improvements in the camera app:
ο Ability to use the ultrawide camera in Pro and Pro Video modes.
ο The camera can also detect low-light conditions and automatically activate the Night Mode feature in Photo, Portrait, and Hyperlapse modes.
ο There are three new Portrait effects: Backdrop, High-Key Mono, and Low-Key Mono.
- [March 31, 2021]: Samsung has now started sending the April 2021 Security Patch update to the 4G units of Galaxy Z Fold 2. The latest build arrives on the firmware version F916BXXU1DUCE. This is a minor bump in the security level, it doesn’t include any significant changes apart from the bug fixes, improvements for apps & system performance, optimizations, etc. The update for Galaxy Z Fold 2 brings improvements to the camera for better ISO performance in low-light mode.
- [March 30, 2021]: After rolling the update to Verizon and German units of Galaxy Z Fold 2, both locked and unlocked variants of the T-Mobile Galaxy Z Fold 2 are getting the Android 11-based One UI 3.1 update. The latest software brings enhancements in several apps including cameras, calendars, displays, and more. For more details on the update, Click here.
- [March 15, 2021]: Galaxy Note 10 lineup was the first smartphone from the company to receive the March 2021 security patch. Now, the updated train has reached the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in China. Identified by firmware version F9160ZCS1DUC1, the latest update drives enhanced system stability and numerous bug fixes. Besides the glitches fixed by Google, Samsung fixes 19 other vulnerabilities such as notification screen leaks and unprotected clipboard contents being shared across apps in an irresponsible manner. Click here to go to our dedicated page for the update.
- [February 21, 2021]: Samsung is sending out its customized One UI 3.1 skin to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 users. Though One UI 3.1 is based on Android 11, it includes some extra features like camera improvements such as enhanced single take mode, an object eraser, and video call effects for some apps. Tap here to know more about the new skin by the company.
- [February 18, 2021]: Samsung is seeding out the update to the foldable smartphones— Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Flip 5G, and the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The device is getting the updated firmware version F916BXXU1DUB5 in Germany. The brand new One UI 3.1 brings updated features to smartphones such as Private Share, object eraser tool, improved Single Take mode in the camera, and the ability to remove location data from images while sharing them. For more about the build, click here.
- [January 11, 2021]: Samsung has started seeding out the One UI 3.0 Stable update to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 devices. The build bears the firmware version F916BXXU1CTLL and is currently rolling out in Germany. The One UI 3.0 update comes with January 2020 Security Patch, Android 11 & One UI 3.0 goodness, bug fixes, enhancements, and improvements. Visit here for more on this update.
Related: Samsung Galaxy A12 update tracker
As the update is having a phase-wise rollout, it may take some time to reach all the units. In the meantime, you can head to Settings > Software updates > Security updates to check the update manually. We also suggest you switch over to a WiFi network before downloading the update to avoid data charges.