Samsung released the Galaxy A02s in November 2020 followed by the Galaxy A02 in January next year. Both phones feature a 6.5-inch PLS IPS display with Android 10 OS paired with One UI 2.0 on top. Galaxy A20 powers Mediatek MT6739W chipset whereas the Galaxy A02s equips Snapdragon 450 SoC. The smartphones have a 13MP primary rear camera and a 5MP snapper for selfies.
Note: This is an update tracker and will be updated regularly with the latest update releases for the device.
Samsung Galaxy A02 and A02s update tracker
- [June 24, 2023]: The Galaxy A02 June 2023 Security latest software update is currently available in Latin America. The update carries firmware version A022MUBS3BWF1.
- [June 01, 2023]: Samsung is rolling out April 2023 Security Patch for unlocked Galaxy A02s in the United States. Last week, the locked variant received the same update. Here are the carrier and unlocked model firmware versions A025USQU2CWD2 and A025U1UEU2CWD3, respectively.
- [January 27, 2023]: Samsung is finally rolling out Android 12 for the Galaxy A02s in the USA. The update carries firmware version S124DLUDU8CVK4 and features the November 2022 security patch.
- [December 26, 2022]: Samsung is rolling out a new update for Galaxy A02s. The update is rolling out in the US and brings the OneUI 4.1 based on the Android 12 update. It is now rolling out for carrier-unlocked smartphones. The update brings the firmware version A025U1UEU1CVK6 and bumps up the security patch to November 2022.
- [November 30, 2022]: The Android 12 update for the Galaxy A02s comes with the firmware version A025USQU1CVK2 in the US. The update contains September 2022 security patch
- [August 23, 2022]: Verizon-based Galaxy A02 is receiving an August 2022 Security Patch update via the firmware RP1A.200720.012.A025VSQS2BVG6.
- [July 5, 2022]: Samsung is finally spinning off the goodness of Android 12 to Galaxy A02s. Also, the Android version is paired with the enriched One UI 4.1 features. For now, the package is rolling out in Russia with firmware version A025FXXU4CVF4. On top, it improves the system’s privacy by integrating the June 2022 security patch.
- [May 26, 2022]: The Verizon-based Galaxy A02s smartphone is getting the May 2022 security patch update. The build is available in the US with firmware version A025VSQS2BVE2.
- [October 11, 2021]: Samsung is releasing the October 2021 security patch for Galaxy A02s. The update is rolling out to Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, and Panama via the firmware version A025MUBS2BUI1. Besides, it does not carry any other significant changes. But internally, the patch fixes over 60 security and privacy-related vulnerabilities.
- [August 23, 2021]: The Galaxy A02s is receiving the August 2021 security patch update. Arriving on the firmware version A025MUBU2BUH5, the update is currently live in Uruguay. As per Samsung’s documentation, the patch fixes 40 vulnerabilities related to privacy and security.
- [July 13th, 2021]: Samsung is sending the current security maintenance, July 2021 patch to the Galaxy A02s units in Brazil. The latest software arrives on Claro, TIM, and Vivo networks via firmware version A025MUBU2BUF5. Though the update does not add anything new, it fixes around 20 vulnerabilities that enhance privacy and data security. Moreover, the much-reported Android Auto bug has also been addressed in this update.
- [June 16, 2021]: The Galaxy A02 units in Russia receive a new software update with the May 2021 security patch. The build arrives on firmware version A022GDXU2AUF1 for model number SM-A022G. This is a minor bump in safety level and nothing new drives to your device with this update. However, internally, the patch resolves several security vulnerabilities and risks from vectors. Here’s what Samsung is sending to its flagships with May 2021 patch.
- [May 10, 2021]: The Galaxy A02s is now eligible to grab the Android 11 operating system. The latest Android 11 package for Galaxy A20s is rolling out in Russia with firmware version A025FXXU2BUDC. Along with the current stable operating channel comes the April 2021 Android security patch. Though the Korean giant has not yet revealed any changelog, it will surely carry all the Android 11 features tossed with One UI 3.1 traits. Head here for further details.
- [February 12, 2021]: Samsung is sending January 2021 Security Patch to the Galaxy A02. The update can be identified by the firmware version A022FXXU1AUA6, which is being rolled out in some countries via OTA. Presently, the changelog of the build is not yet available. However, it is expected to include bug fixes, enhancements, and other security improvements released by Google in January.
As the update is having a phase-wise rollout, it may take some time to reach all the units. In the meantime, you can head to Settings > Software updates > check for updates to check the update manually. We also suggest you switch over to a WiFi network before downloading the update to avoid data charges.